Out-of-control legal responsibility insurance coverage prices jeopardize the way forward for South Carolina’s small companies, and the SC residents are taking a stand on the Tort Reform Rally .
On Tuesday, January ninth, 2024, the SC Venue Disaster group will lead a rally on the entrance steps of the SC State Home, urging lawmakers to move the SC Justice Act (S 533) and convey much-needed tort reform to the state.
The SC Tort Reform Rally will spotlight the devastating influence of frivolous lawsuits on companies, workers, and the general cultural panorama of South Carolina. Attendees can have the chance to listen to firsthand accounts from affected people and companies, study in regards to the proposed tort reform options, and voice their assist for accountable laws.
The SC Tort Reform Rally will function a lineup of highly effective audio system, together with:
- Rep. Jay Kilmartin (R- Lexington District 85), proprietor of Cigar Militia who not too long ago turned within the firm’s liquor license when the protection quote rose from $1,500 in 2023 to $28,000 for 2024.
- Rep. Stewart Jones (R- Laurens District 14) is a enterprise proprietor, advocate for fiscal duty, supporter of time period limits, and opponent of presidency overreach.
- Diane Hardy, founding father of the Mother & Pop Alliance and a tireless advocate for family-owned companies throughout South Carolina.
- Ben Hebel, Producer at KSA Insurance coverage & Surety Bonds Agent, is an asset to the SC Venue Disaster, trying to find higher, extra inexpensive legal responsibility protection for small companies.
- Extra audio system from numerous industries impacted by the disaster united of their name for truthful and balanced legal responsibility legal guidelines.
Unbalanced legal responsibility legal guidelines have led to skyrocketing insurance coverage premiums, forcing many small venues, eating places, and different companies to battle to make ends meet and preserve their open. These legal guidelines punish enterprise house owners and pad the pockets of plaintiff attorneys.
“It doesn’t make loads of sense,” mentioned Alex Zelling, co-owner of the Cigar Militia who joined Rep. Jay Kilmartin in protest of the present legislation not too long ago at SCDOR. “If we have been to serve any individual … am I alleged to drive round and observe this particular person round all day lengthy, as a result of now I’m chargeable for what he does at one other institution?”
It’s not solely the hospitality trade that has one thing to lose. The SC Trucking Affiliation and SC Homebuilder’s Affiliation are amongst a couple of organizations which have been lobbying for change. It’s time.
The SC Justice Act gives a commonsense answer by establishing affordable caps on non-economic damages and different very important reforms. This laws would degree the taking part in area, shield companies from frivolous lawsuits, and make it extra inexpensive to function in South Carolina.
The SC Venue Disaster, together with the companies beneath, urges all South Carolinians who care about their native companies, communities, and a good and thriving economic system to affix the rally on January ninth. Rally attendees might start arriving as early as 8:30 am. Singer-songwriter Hans Wenzel will carry out at 10 am, and the audio system will tackle the gang from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
A rally meet-up will happen at Artwork Bar on Park St. in Columbia on Monday, January eighth, from 6:30 to 9 pm.
Take a time off work, carry your rally indicators, and present your assist for tort reform! Collectively, we are able to make a distinction and guarantee a brighter future for South Carolina’s small companies.
SC Venue Disaster is a coalition of involved residents sounding the alarm in regards to the devastating results of South Carolina’s present tort system on small companies.